Dr. Farhod Karimov joined Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) in 2007 as a lecturer in business discipline. In 2014 he was appointed as Deputy Rector to lead the development of WIUT Pre-Foundation courses and Academic Lyceum. As a principal lecturer in Business discipline, Farhod leads postgraduate and undergraduate programs in the areas of business, economics and management.
Before joining the WIUT, he started his career in business as Vice-President of Marketing at Ulugbek-Textile JSC by the nomination of the Ministry of Light Industry of Uzbekistan (2002-2006). From 2012 to 2014, he was Head of the Department of Management Theory and Practice at the Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan. He is also actively involved in providing a professional freelance consulting in business to support local entrepreneurship in Uzbekistan. There are such big names among his local consulting projects as Artel Electronics Ltd., JV UzDongJu, Jurabek Laboratories Ltd., Mexmashagro Ltd., Newmax Technologies Ltd., SAG Carpets Ltd., GM Uzbekistan, Uzbek Telecom etc. He also cooperates with international organizations such as Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) and German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) to organise business training for local entrepreneurs and start-ups.
His research interests are broadly in the domain of applied microeconomics, economic development, entrepreneurship, small business, Web atmospherics, ICT research in transition economies, marketing models and quantitative methods, social media, digital economy and entrepreneurial marketing. He has published in a range of well-established international journals such as Electronic Commerce Research, Management Research Review, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, International Journal of E-Entrepreneurship and Innovation, International Journal of E-Adoption, Marketing Cahier, etc. He has presented his findings at numerous international conferences in Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Turkey and Thailand.
08.2014 - current Deputy Rector / Principal lecturer
Pre-university studies – strategy and monitoring.
Regional learning resource centers – development, liaising public & private partnerships.
Organisation: Westminster International University in Tashkent
Telephone: (998 71) 2387428, Fax: 2363599
05.2012-2014 - Head of the Department of Management Theory and Practice / Associate professor
Planning, delivery, review, monitoring, standards and academic development of module(s) and quality assurance.
Identifying the module team, working with a module team to ensure quality and comparability of student experience.
Organisation: The Academy of Public Administration Under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan
Telephone: (998 71) 2326046
02.2007- 02.2009, 2011-2016 - Subject Area Leader on Business (Module leader/lecturer)
Designing the teaching and learning approaches, identifying resource requirements and revising and updating the content and assessment of the module.
Organisation: Westminster International University in Tashkent
Telephone: (998 71) 2387418, Fax: 2363599
10.2001-12.2006 - Vice-President of Marketing
Leading, directing and mentoring marketing team to success.
Develop marketing strategies, market research and marketing planning activities.
Organisation: Ulugbek-Textile Joint Stock Company.
Address: 15, Shohruhobod street, Kokand 150700, Uzbekistan.
02.2009- 12.2011- PhD in Applied Economics. Vrije Universiteit Brussel. Faculty of Economics (BEDR). Web: www.vub.ac.be
10.2000-09.2001- Master of Arts in Marketing. University of Ulster, United Kingdom.Faculty of Business Management. Web: www.ulster.ac.uk
09.1995-05.1997- English Language Philology (Transferred). Kokand State Pedagogical Institute. Department of English Philology.Web:http://www.kspi.uz/
09.1994-05.1997- Bachelor of Economics and Accounting (Transferred). Ferghana State Polytechnic Institute. Department of Management.Web: www.farpi.uz/
09.1991-05.1995 - Teacher of Trade and Technical Drawing. Kokand Teachers Training Pedagogical College.Faculty of Trade and Technical Drawing.
1. Karimov, F.P. & El-Murad, J. (2018). Does country-of-origin matter in the era of globalisation? Evidence from cross sectional data in Uzbekistan. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management. Under reviewKarimov, F.P. (2018). Does country-of-origin matter in the era of globalisation? Evidence from cross sectional data in Uzbekistan. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management. Under review.
2. Karimov, F.P. (2018). Interesting myths and well-founded facts about the evolution of the marketing concept, Journal of «Marketing in Russia and abroad». Section "Theory and methodology of marketing." Forthcoming in №4/2018. (Интересные мифы и обоснованные факты об эволюции маркетинговой концепции. «Маркетинг в России и за рубежом».Раздел «Теория и методология маркетинга».)
3. Karimov, F.P. (2017). The review on the development of marketing thought, concepts, definitions and its changing nature. Tashkent State University of Economics, Scientific Journal of “Economics and Innovation Technologies”, Issue 6, 2017.(Тошкент давлат иқтисодиёт университетининг “Иқтисодиёт ва инновацион технологиялар” илмий электрон журнали.)
4. Van Hove, L. & Karimov, F.P. (2015). The role of risk in e-retailers’ adoption of payment: evidence for transitioning economies.Electronic Commerce Research.IMPACT FACTOR: 2.020. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10660-015-9203-6
5. Karimov, F.P. & Brengman, M. (2014). An examination of trust assurances adopted by top internet retailers: unveiling some critical determinants, Electronic Commerce Research. IMPACT FACTOR: 2.020. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10660-014-9148-1
6. Karimov, F.P., Brengman, M. & Van Hove, L. (2011). The Effect of Website Design Dimensions on Initial Trust: A Synthesis of the Empirical Literature. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 12 (4), 272-301. IMPACT FACTOR: 1.306. http://www.jecr.org/node/63
7. Brengman, M. & Karimov, F.P. (2012). The Effect of Web Communities on Consumers’ Initial Trust in B2C E-Commerce Websites. Management Research Review, Special Issue on Social Media Marketing, Vol. 35 No. 9, 2012 pp. 791-817.http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/01409171211256569
8. Karimov, F.P. (2011). Factors Influencing E-Commerce Growth: A Comparative Study of Central Asian Transition Economies. International Journal of E-Adoption, 3 (4), 29-43.http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/factors-influencing-commerce-growth/72394
9. Karimov, F.P. & Brengman, M. (2011). Adoption of Social-Media by Online Retailers: Assessment of Current Practices and Future Directions. International Journal of E-Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2(1), 26-45. http://www.igi-global.com/article/adoption-social-media-online-retailers/52781
10. Brengman, M. & Karimov, F.P. (2011). Social Media Marketing: [R] Evolution of Top E-Commerce Retailers. Marketing Cahier, Volume: 2011, N. 1: 31-36.
11. Safarov, O. &Karimov, F.P. (2014). The influence of high-school principals on the education quality. Empirical study.Journal of Public and Management, Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Issue 2, 2014. (Умумтаълим мактаб раҳбарлари салоҳиятининг таълим сифатига таъсири,Ўз.Р. Президенти хузуридаги ДБА Жамият ва Бошқарув журнали, 2 сон.)
12. Karimov, F.P. (2013). Social Media Marketing: Do Social Networks Provide a Signal of Trustworthiness? Journal of Public and Management, Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Issue 3, 2013.(Ўз.Р. Президенти хузуридаги ДБА Жамият ва Бошқарув журнали, 3 сон.)
13. Karimov, F.P. (2013). The development of business-consumer e-commerce sites in the Central Asia. Journal of Public and Management, Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Issue 1, 2013.(Марказий Осиёдаги бизнес-истеъмолчи электрон тижорат веб-саҳифаларининг ривожланиш жараёни. Ўз.Р. Президенти хузуридаги ДБА Жамият ва Бошқарув журнали, 1 сон.)
14. Karimov, F.P.(2018). Can media-rich embedded social-cues enhance initial trust in online shopping context? 24th EBES Conference (Eurasia Business and Eurasian Society) - January 10th, 11th, and 12th, 2018 at the Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square in Bangkok, Thailand.
15. Karimov, F.P. (2017). The importance of marketing research activities in the development of entrepreneurship in Uzbekistan.ICT in Economics, Problems and solutions of ICT technologies in the national economy. Tashkent State University of Economics, December, 2017. (Тошкентдавлатиқтисодиѐтуниверситети, "Иқтисодиѐтдаахбороттехнологиялари” кафедраси 2017 йил 14 декабрдаги “Миллийиқтисодиётниинновационривожлантиришдаахборот-коммуникациятехнологиялариниқўллашнингустуворйўналишлари” мавзусидаРеспубликаилмийамалийанжумани.)
16. Karimov, F.P. (2017). Definition and evolution of the marketing concept. The ways of effective use of marketing channels in increasing the export potential of Uzbekistan, November 2017,Tashkent State University of Economics. (Маркетинг сўзининг луғавий маъноси ва тушунчасининг келиб чиқиш тарихи.Тошкент давлат иқтисодиёт университетининг “Маркетинг” кафедраси 2017 йил 24 ноябрдаги “Ўзбекистоннинг экспорт салоҳиятини оширишда маркетинг тизимидан самарали фойдаланиш йўллари” мавзусидаги республика илмий-амалий конференцияси.)
17. Karimov, F.P. (2016). Small Business Competitiveness and Economic Performance: Does Marketing Capability Matter? The Improvement of Measures and Mechanisms for Strengthening Macroeconomic Stability, Providing Sustainable Development and Enhancing Competitiveness of the National Economy. Tashkent.
18. Karimov, F.P. (2016). Trends in the ICT sector: e-marketing and e-commerce in Uzbekistan. International Conference on Inclusive and Sustainable Growth: Current Issues.Central Bank of Uzbekistan. Tashkent.
19. Karimov, F.P. &Tokhtaeva, Z. (2016). Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Strategic Marketing: Conceptualization of Critical Factors for Economic Growth. International Conference on Entrepreneurship and Industrial Management (ICEIM 2016), 18-19 November, MDIS Tashkent.
20. Karimov, F.P. &Nishanov, B. (2015). The Importance of Country-of-Origin Information and Perceived Product Quality in Uzbekistan: A Longitudinal Study. International Conference on Marketing (ICM 2015), 18-19 November, MDIS Tashkent.
21. Van Hove, L. & Karimov, F.P. (2014). The role of risk in e-retailers’ adoption of payment: evidence for transitioning economies. European Central Bank (ECB) Banque de France Conference, October 22-24, Paris.
22. Karimov, F.P. &Brengman, M. (2011). The Role of Online Social Media Applications in Initial Trust Formation Towards Unknown E-Retailers. In Proceedings of the IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems: IADIS International Conference on Web Based Communities and Social Media 2011. pp. 73-80. International Association for Development of the Information Society (IADIS), Rome, Italy, July 20-26. Editors: Kommers, P., Bessis, N. and Isais, P.
23. Karimov, F.P. &Brengman, M. (2010). The role of website design factors in initial trust formation. In Proceedings of the IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems: IADIS International Conference e-Commerce 2010, pp. 179-183. International Association for Development of the Information Society (IADIS), Freiburg Germany, July 28-30. Editors: Krishnamurthy, S., Singh, G., & McPherson, M.
24. Karimov F., 2010. ‘The effect of website design on consumer initial trust’, poster presentation at the “VUB-PhD Research Day”, VrijeUniversiteit Brussel, Belgium. May 28, 2010.
25. Karimov F., 2009. ‘Trust in the Context of Online shopping: A Review’, paper presented at EconAnadolu 2009: Anadolu International Conference in Economics, June 17-19, 2009, Eskişehir, Turkey.
26. Karimov F., 2009. ‘Building initial trust via website design’, poster presentation at the “VUB-ES Navorsingsdag 2009”, Fortis Auditorium Brussel, Belgium. September 18, 2009.
27. Presented topic: “The Classroom Management Strategies”. Westminster International University in Tashkent. First Teaching and Learning Symposium, 06.2008.
28. Published topic: The Role of IT in the Development of National Economy: E-marketing and SMEs - problems and success factors. 4th Annual Conference Proceedings “Towards a knowledge economy in Central Asia”. Westminster International University in Tashkent. 05.2007.
29. Published topic: “The Role of Information Technology in Increasing Competitiveness: e – business and e – commerce in Uzbekistan”. Westminster International University in Tashkent, Conference Proceedings: “Business at the Heart of Central Asia: Critical Issues of Competition and Competitiveness”, 05.2005.
30. Published topic: The ways of e-business and their role in changing business activity in Uzbekistan. IV Annual Conference organized by Istedod Foundation, July 2005, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Volume II.
- Research methods and statistics
- Economic planning and regional strategic development
- Management theory and practice; Project management
- Corporate management;Innovations management
- Marketing research and practice
- Consumer behavior; Digitalmarketing
- Marketing management
- Brandingand strategy; International trade
- Applied microeconomics; Economic development
- Entrepreneurship and small business
- ICT research in transition economies
- Marketing models and quantitative methods
- Social media and digital marketing
- Web atmospherics and e-commerce
- Web security and online payment systems
Associate Professor at Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan
Associate Professor at Tashkent State University of Economics
A professional expert of Marketing Association of Uzbekistan
English and Russian (fluent).
Will be provided on request.