Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) founded in January 2002 in partnership with the University of Westminster (UK, London) and the UMID Foundation of the first President of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The first study programmes, the Certificate of the International Foundation Studies and the Certificate of Higher Education in Business Administration, were validated by the University of Westminster in London.
Our 100 year-old ancient building is beautifully located in the city center of Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan. The building construction resisted the largest earthquake in the history of Uzbekistan dated back to 26th of April, 1966.
The building was initially built in the period of Romanticism in Russian empire, between 1911-1912. It was the 2nd Women's Gymnasium in Uzbekistan. Later, during the Soviet times, the building was donated to the Aviation College. The college was merged with the newly formed Tashkent Aviation Institute after half a century. In September 2002, after renovation and reconstruction works, Westminster University in Tashkent opened its doors to the first 120 students on the Level 3 Certificate of International Foundation Studies (CIFS) course, and the first year of the BA (Hons) Business Administration degree.
The student population has grown to over 3,000 and is targeted to grow to 4,000 plus by 2020.
- 2004 - The WIUT held its first international conference: “Higher Education Management: International Trends and Local Sustainability”.
- 2005-The first 16 graduates attended the first Graduation Ceremony.
- The first postgraduate degrees were validated by the University Westminster: International Business & Management and Special Study in Teaching and Learning.
- The Academic Lyceum under WIUT opened its doors to 150 students. His Royal Highness, Prince Michael of Kent, paid an official visit to Uzbekistan and attended the opening ceremony of the first Sports Hall.
- The WIUT opened the first Regional Learning Center in the city of Zarafshan (Navoi).
- The University has launched a Pre-University course to train prospective students to pass the WIUT entrance exams.
- 2009 – WIUT opened its first Regional Learning Center in the city of Zarafshan (Navoi).
- 2009 – The University launched “Pre-University” course where the University applicants are more effectively trained to matriculate at WIUT.
- 2011 – UK’s Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) gave outstanding commendations for the University of Westminster and WIUT.
- 2012 – WIUT celebrated its 10th Anniversary and the total number of WIUT graduates reached 1000.
- 2013 – WIUT opened a new Regional Learning Center in the city of Urgench (Khorezm).
- 2013 – The postgraduate degree - LLM in the International Commercial Law was validated by the University of Westminster and the WIUT campus further extended with opening of a new learning building and sports center.