Associate Lecturer / Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Law
Duty station: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Reports to: Head of Department
Date posted: 4.03.2022
Deadline: Open until filled
Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) is the first international university in Uzbekistan to offer a Western-style education with UK qualifications. WIUT was established in 2002 in conjunction with the "UMID" Presidential Foundation, the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialized Education, and the University of Westminster in London. WIUT is still a young university with nearly 5,000 students and more than 140 full-time faculties, but with an established presence and a growing international reputation. WIUT has blended the traditions and standards of British education with the culture and environment of Central Asia.
WIUT’s development strategy is based on three strategic affairs of the University: Student Experience, Staff Experience, and Society Engagement. Our Strategic Priorities are focused on enhancing these three pillars by Strengthening, Smartening and Sustaining them. For more information: http://www.wiut.uz/
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
Westminster International University in Tashkent is glad to welcome legal scholars and legal professionals to a full-time academic position to its campus in Tashkent. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to undertake delivery of the modules, subject development, research and related administration on a range of courses, including both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Commercial Law. You will also work with WIUT to manage the development of its undergraduate and postgraduate curricula, which will have introductory and intermediate modules in legal skills, contract, tort, company law, EU Trade, IP Law, international economic law, and advanced courses in investment arbitration, international taxation, e-commerce, legal aspects of energy, construction and project finance in the international scale.
Central to the vision of WIUT is to represent the excellence of Uzbekistan’s education and research capacity in the global arena. WIUT’s distinctiveness is primarily based on an intellectually stimulating environment that contributes to the creative, cultural and social enrichment of students offered by a research-focused university. The language of instruction for all studies is English. As a Faculty Member, you will be focused on maintaining the student experience through high-quality teaching, personal guidance and support to ensure students master and apply knowledge base and skills in contemporary legal reality. The ideal candidate would be someone who is committed to the development, delivery and administration of a module or set of modules, inquisitive and prepared to engage in research on interdisciplinary legal issues of regional, local and international significance.
This course develops graduates who can address the needs of business to receive qualified and excellent legal advice and support for their strategic advantage. Graduates are also highly demanded by international law firms in Uzbekistan and the region, as well as government ministries and local companies.
You will have access to and be expected to contribute to industry research and training implemented by the University's Legal Clinics and Moot Courts, which was formed in response to demands among students, law firms and practicing lawyers in Central Asia.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or equivalent from an internationally recognized university in Law for Lecturer/Senior Lecturer appointments; a Master’s degree is required for Associate Lecturer appointments;
- Fluency in English either with 7 IELTS or a subject qualification taught and assessed in English.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience have introductory courses in contract and company law and other advanced law disciplines/subjects;
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching i.e. developing new modules grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature;
- Experience using innovative and new teaching methods, including the assessment setting, marking and evaluation process;
- Experience in some form of management and administration involving students, faculty and staff, i.e. managing faculty, student dissertations / projects;
- Experience teaching in Central Asia or similar international experience would be a valuable asset.
- A proven ability to publish research in internationally peer reviewed Law journals related to your areas of personal research expertise and/or books or professional publications;
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international research seminars and conferences;
- Experience as a peer reviewer for well-established scholarly journals in your area of study; and
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset.
Timing and Location
- You should be prepared to move to Tashkent, Uzbekistan by August/September 2022 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Knowledge of Russian would be an advantage, as is knowledge of Uzbek.
How to Apply
To apply please complete this application form online and upload
(1) a cover letter indicating the position applied, past teaching and research experience, reasons why the position is of interest, evaluation of your fit with the Department’s teaching and research profile
(2) an up-to-date CV with a copy of Master/PhD thesis or a published article in the last 3 years
(3) a teaching and research statement
(4) Copies of current working papers
(5) copies and transcripts of diplomas and transcripts (Bachelors, Masters and PhD if applicable)
(6) contact information for three professional references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: www.wiut.uz/job-wiut