Associate Lecturer / Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Finance
Duty station: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Reports to: Head of Department
Date posted: 4.03.2022
Deadline: Open until filled
Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) is the first international university in Uzbekistan to offer a Western-style education with UK qualifications. WIUT was established in 2002 in conjunction with the "UMID" Presidential Foundation, the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialized Education, and the University of Westminster in London. WIUT is still a young university with nearly 5,000 students and more than 140 full-time faculties, but with an established presence and a growing international reputation. WIUT has blended the traditions and standards of British education with the culture and environment of Central Asia.
WIUT’s development strategy is based on three strategic affairs of the University: Student Experience, Staff Experience, and Society Engagement. Our Strategic Priorities are focused on enhancing these three pillars by Strengthening, Smartening and Sustaining them. For more information: https://www.wiut.uz/
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
Westminster International University in Tashkent is seeking Finance Faculty Members to work in Tashkent. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to undertake teaching, subject development, research and administration related to a range of courses, including both undergraduate and postgraduate, in Finance. You will also work with WIUT to manage the development of its undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD programmes, covering introductory and intermediate modules in financial and managerial accounting and advanced modules in financial econometrics, banking and investments, insurance and risk management, and corporate finance.
Central to the vision of WIUT is to represent the excellence of Uzbekistan’s education and research capacity in the global arena. WIUT’s distinctiveness is primarily based on an atmosphere that contributes to the intellectual, cultural and social enrichment of students offered by a research-focused university. The language of instruction for all studies is English. As a Faculty Member, you will be focused on the student experience through high-quality teaching, personal guidance and support to ensure students master and apply the material. We are seeking someone committed to the development, delivery and administration of a module or set of modules, intellectually curious and prepared to engage in research on issues relating to the economic development of Uzbekistan and Central Asia.
This course aims to capitalise on the growth trends in the financial sector (such as banking, insurance and other financial intermediation services industries) in Uzbekistan and accommodate the growing need for a wide range of professionals in finance. By acquiring the skills and knowledge overseen by the course, course graduates will open up a range of job opportunities in areas such as commercial banking, financial planning, asset finance, trade finance, investment risk management, securities analysis, fund management, wealth management, investment banking and government and corporate treasury management. The course is also designed to help graduates' progression to professional qualifications, therefore, this programme is foresees full ACCA exemption coverage.
You will have access to and be expected to contribute to research and training implemented by the University's Bloomberg Lab, which was formed in response to research and training demands among government, investors and banks in Central Asia.
Preference will be given to candidates who have a demonstrated record of achievement in teaching Introduction to Financial Markets module.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or equivalent from an internationally recognized university in Economics/Finance for Lecturer/Senior Lecturer appointments; a Master’s degree is required for Associate Lecturer appointments;
- Fluency in English either with 7 IELTS or a subject qualification taught and assessed in English.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience teaching introductory and intermediate courses in financial and managerial accounting and other advanced finance disciplines/subjects;
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching i.e. developing new modules grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature;
- Experience using innovative and new teaching methods, including the assessment setting, marking and evaluation process;
- Experience in some form of management and administration involving students, faculty and staff, i.e. managing faculty, student dissertations / projects;
- Experience teaching in Central Asia or similar international experience would be a valuable asset.
- A proven ability to publish research in SCI- and Scopus-indexed Economics/Finance journals related to your areas of research expertise and/or books or professional publications;
- Experience with presenting at international research seminars and conferences;
- Ability to collaborate in research teams
- Experience as a peer reviewer for well-established scholarly journals in your area of study;
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset.
Timing and Location
- You should be prepared to move to Tashkent, Uzbekistan by August/September 2022 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Knowledge of Russian would be an advantage, as is knowledge of Uzbek.
How to Apply
To apply please complete this application form online and upload
(1) a cover letter indicating the position applied, past teaching and research experience, reasons why the position is of interest, evaluation of your fit with the Department’s teaching and research profile
(2) an up-to-date CV with a copy of Master/PhD thesis or a published article in the last 3 years
(3) a teaching and research statement
(4) Copies of current working papers
(5) copies and transcripts of diplomas and transcripts (Bachelors, Masters and PhD if applicable)
(6) contact information for three professional references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: www.wiut.uz/job-wiut